05-10, 15:30–16:00 (Europe/Paris), Louis Armand 2
- What is notebook code review & why should Jupyter users care
- How to build rich diffs & commenting for notebooks
- How to integrate notebook diff & commenting with version control platforms like GitHub & Bitbucket
For the past 4+ years, I’ve built a notebook code review experience (ReviewNB) for GitHub as a solo bootstrapped developer. Thousands of organizations now use the service, including Apple, Airbnb, Lyft, Deloitte, Affirm, AWS, Meta Reality Labs, and NASA JPL.
This talk focuses on behind-the-scenes technical details such as,
- Challenges of building rich notebook diffs on top of GitHub / Bitbucket
- handling JSON diffs
- handling images, plots & other rich outputs
- Challenges of building discussion / commenting functionality for notebooks
- where & how to store notebook comments
- how to handle comments when underlying notebook changes
Amit is a software developer & the founder of ReviewNB, a code review tool for Jupyter Notebooks.
He's a Carnegie Mellon graduate, previously worked at Amazon Music team in Seattle & helped build location stack at HyperTrack.
Amit is a strong proponent of automated testing & code reviews as they help us quickly build reliable software & learn from each other. He's deeply interested in the human side of software engineering- development processes, collaboration tools, and such.